We’ve dubbed our morning circle time “Council of Oaks” because it is a gathering of Oaks. Here are some resources we might use in October.
(Many of these links are Amazon affiliate links that supports the work we do at Educating Oaks and in our homeschool. I have read them all, so I can recommend them. You can look for them wherever you wish, even in your local library.)
Poets: Carl Sandburg and/or Edgar Allen Poe
- Sandburg’s Poems Online: Poets.org, PoemHunter, Poetry Foundation
- Poe’s Poems Online: Poets.org, PoemHunter, Poetry Foundation
Poem to Memorize: “The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus
We don’t have “The Village Blacksmith” completely down, but I decided to move on anyway. None of us have made it through a full recitation without help from the others. We’ve enjoyed the rhythm of the poem, but we are ready to move on. “The New Colossus” is much shorter. We’ll continue reviewing the Longfellow piece, but not every day.
Folk Song: This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie
Hymn: This is My Father’s World by Maltbie D. Babcock
- Sheet Music from Hymnary
- YouTube Video: Fernando Ortega
- YouTube Video: in ASL
- YouTube Video: Learn How to sing Hymns: My Father’s World
Scripture Memory: Philippians 1:27-2:4
Artist: Mary Cassett
- Many of her paintings are here. Choose some for picture study.
Composer: Claude Debussy
Shakespeare: Julius Caesar
Act 2, Scenes 2, 3 and 4